Saturday, 11 April 2026

Gallery: Mining history in Mecsek

My best friend HJMT told me he is making a game about traversing through mysterious mineshafts and secret underground worlds. (He is a very good artist, composer and game developer all at the same time, by the way!) At the same time, I had just recently discovered that Pécs had a prosperous mining industry nearby the Mecsek mountains until the end of the 20th century. So I got very interested and decided to visit all the sites and monuments.

One day when I have the time I'll add all my research here, but for now I'd just like to share all the photos I've gathered with minimum text. Sorry, please do your own research for now!

First I took the bus to the outskirts of the city, where the old buildings still lie abandoned.

I had to take the bus quite a few times, because there were monuments all around the city as well.

My favorite place was the miner's memorial park located in the district of Vasas.

Komló is a city just 30 minutes by bus from Pécs, and it was also a major mining city. I visited there for the museum which had a lot of other interesting exhibitons such as dinosaur fossils(which were also found in Mecsek by the way!), but also had a rich collection about mining as well.

There's also a mining museum in the downtown of Pécs, but I won't post the photos because the glass cases reflected my face too well haha. 

Here's some more monuments in Komló to close this gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment